Wednesday, February 14, 2007

iPod-Elliptical-Workout Trifecta

Just in case anyone wondered what my playlist was while I work out here at my apartment complex's elliptical machine, (and thought, hmm I wish I had some songs that were the right tempo for working out on the elliptical) then today's your lucky day. I was visiting a friend's blog and she had posted her list of songs for just such an occasion. It's nice to know that other folks also prefer working out to a beat that coincides with the workout. It's much more synergistic, and dance-nerdy. Enjoy! (the album names are in parentheses):

"This is Such a Pity" by Weezer (Make Believe)
"Soul Meets Body" by Death Cab for Cutie (Plans)
"The First Single" by The Format (The Format)
"Canned Heat" by Jamiroquai (Synkronized)
"Where Do I Go From Here" by Jamiroquai (Synkronized)
"Now or Never" by Zebrahead (Playmate of the Year)
"Sexx Laws" by Beck (Midnight Vultures)
"Stockholm Syndrome" by Muse (Absolution)
"Love Foolosophy" by Jamiroquai (A Funk Odyssey)
"Life During Wartime" by The Talking Heads (Stop Making Sense)
"Why Bother" by Weezer (Pinkerton)
"Mixed Bizness" by Beck (Midnight Vultures)
"Pressure Zone" by Beck (Midnight Vultures)
"You Might Think" by The Cars (Greatest Hits)
"Shake it Up" by The Cars (Greatest Hits)
"Got to Get You Into My Life" by Earth, Wind, and Fire
"Electric Mistress" by Jamiroquai (Dynamite)
"Don't Let Go" by Weezer (The Green Album)
also probably some Crystal Method, if I could find my CD...

(faster-paced songs for the occasional interval of crazy-fast ellipticalling:)
"Feel Good, Inc." by Gorillaz (Demon Days)
"Staring at the Sun" by The Offspring (Americana)
"I Am" by Zebrahead (Playmate of the Year)--a few profanities, beware
"Mr. Brightside" by The Killers (Hot Fuss)
"Cars & Calories" by Saves the Day (Stay What You Are)
"Girl" by Beck (Guero)
"Hey Jealousy" by Gin Blossoms (New Miserable Experience)
"Stickshifts and Safteybelts" by Cake (Fashion Nugget)
"Don't Let's Talk About Lisa" by Lonestar (Lonely Grill)
"Everything is Alright" by Motion City Soundtrack (Commit this to Memory)--few profanities
"When 'You're' Around" by Motion City Soundtrack (Commit this to Memory)--more profanities
"Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)" by The Offspring (Americana)
"Idioteque" by Radiohead (Kid A)

*Disclaimer: I do the elliptical at an arbitrary pace of 6.0-6.5 as set by the machine's manufacturers. Also, I usually have the resistance up to the equally arbitrary number of "10". I'm not sure what these numbers mean to anyone else, but I DO know that the pace of these songs works for me, and said numbers. Hopefully they will for you too, even if you might have to tweak them. And hopefully you won't find yourself reading the list above and thinking that I am a huge weenie and don't challenge myself.

So there you go. My playlist. It tells a lot about a person. But keep in mind that there are several artists that I listen to regularly in normal, non-working-out life that aren't adequately listed here because of their lack correct speed and intensity. I need always loud, sometimes angry music to work out to. There are probably many other good choices. I would appreciate any suggestions by those who want to contribute their musical preferences. You will be improving my workout enjoyment and ability to be distracted for 45-50 minutes. Thank you.

1 comment:

phuff said...

I can't remember. Do you guys have internet at home right now? If you do, you should check out last.fm. They have some little things you can put on your ipod and it'll will synch up with their website and keep a list of what you've played recently.

It uses that to suggest new artists you might like, but additionally, you can have "friends" or "buddies" and such, so you can see what everybody else you know is listening to, and make suggestions to each other, etc. Kinda cool...