Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Tyler Perry

I just read on Salon and on Shakesville about Tyler Perry's experiences with sexual abuse. Tyler Perry apparently told his story of abuse on his website [trigger warning]. It is heartbreaking and triggering but deserves to be read and faced. I hope that more and more people will tell their stories and bring light to all kinds of abuse that happen around us every day. I pray that Mr. Perry will find peace in sharing his story, and maybe even a little healing.

I have also read how CNN covered the story and referred to his abuse at the hands of a female neighbor "seduction". A 10-year-old cannot be "seduced". And for that matter a 10-year-old cannot "have sex". They can be forced. They can be raped. Period. Downplaying rape and abuse is wrong. Call it what it is. In fact, if you are so inclined, call or email CNN and tell them you are disappointed in their coverage.

I was sexually abused. I wasn't seduced. I was a victim. I wasn't asking for it in some way.

3 comments:

Live Out Loud said...

Wow. What an amazingly strong person Tyler Perry is. K, thank you for sharing this. Stories like this must be told and heard by everyone, especially those uncomfortable to read/hear them! I too know that there is a God. I too have heard him speak to me. I know he loves me and all his children. I know, if we let him, he can help us through all we must endure (most of the time at the mercy of others) on this earthly experience.

VICKI IN AZ said...

Thanks K. I will check this out.

I am so glad he is telling. One by one the pillars will come together.

Thank you for saying that about seduction that is so ludicrous.

Take care.

Southern Spud said...

I'm continually amazed at how common sexual abuse is. In the past few years, I've had three sets of close friends discover one of their children or a sibling was being abused--two disgustingly by a father and a step-father--and one set of friends whose three-year-old son was nearly kidnapped while playing outside. (Thank God his brother was there!) It's insane. These days you have to teach your preschoolers what you'd normally expect to teach an adolescent or young adult.