Sunday, January 31, 2010

Nourishing Traditions: The book that overwhelmed me and then improved my quality of life

Over two years ago I read a book called Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.

First I read the introduction that breaks down fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. It confirmed many things I had suspected (hydrogenated oils are giving us heart disease), and opened a can of worms about many things I had never even known (cod liver oil is good for you?!).

At that point I was overwhelmed with information and started making small, gradual changes. I tried to soak oatmeal overnight for breakfast the next morning, I tried to get everyone to take high quality cod liver oil (see #4 below), and I made more food at home instead of eating out.

I was still overwhelmed, and felt like I was always falling behind. I gave myself little pep talks: "it's okay, you need to practice, it will take time, just do what you can". I also found a few resources, made the organic produce shift and stopped using Teflon pans.

Here I am two years later, having gotten baby E to his first birthday and finishing my year-long breastpumping stint. I have more resources, I have more time, and I have more practical knowledge due to my two year mulling period. I will blog a series of posts about Real Food that will go more in depth.

My advice is this:
  1. read Nourishing Traditions, but with a grain of salt. First of all, it has been a few years since it's publication. Secondly, there are many people who disagree with it, so make up your own mind and do not follow it blindly. I have read it and find it extremely useful.
  2. follow the Real Food Media blog network for recipe ideas that have incorporated nourishing practices for you to follow.
  3. Find local sources for organic produce, grass-fed beef, pastured eggs and chicken. If you buy in bulk you will save money. Use the Arizona Local Food website to find stores and farmer's markets. Or if you don't live in AZ use a site like Green People.
  4. Buy cod liver oil instead of vitamins and get your family to take them. (Kids will need a spoonful of plain/flavored oil/gel. But grown-ups can take capsules, hooray! We buy from Green Pasture's and get the fermented cod liver oil/butter oil combination caps and gel.)
  5. Use raw honey in place of sugar in your regular recipes.
  6. Use the 80/20 rule: If you are eating well 80% of the time, don't worry too much about the other 20%.
  7. Try not to stress out!
  8. (Read my blog :))

No comments: