Thursday, July 20, 2006

these are a few of my favorite things...that i never would've known about unless i had a one-year-old and spent all day with him

1.) Watching Elmo's World: this might be the funniest show so far in the Kid DVD Collection. Case in point: one episode is about ears, so they show a cartoon about The Boy Who Loved His Dog's Ears. "I love my dog's ears", he says, "they're soft and furry." But before they show the cartoon, the reception is bad and fuzzy, so a rabbit comes in and says, "You need a pair of rabbit ears!" and then contorts his ears to get the signal. Okay, maybe it's just funnier to me since being generally cut off from normal grown-up interaction. Still, I insist that it's funny. **bonus: Having a snuggly M content to sit on your lap while watching.

2.) Learning the words to lullaby's: So far I know the one from Dumbo that starts "Baby mine, don't you cry...", and the one from Mary Poppins that starts "Stay awake don't rest your head..." I would like to learn the words to Hush-a-bye Mountain from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Does anyone remember that movie? I loved it as a kid!)

3.) (Now don't freak out) Watching The Wiggles: I may feel stupid letting M watch the Wiggles, and i may feel incredibly stupid while dancing along with them on the DVD, but it's worth it when M tries to dance and jump (especially since he falls a lot just while walking) and has the best time ever!

4.) Hearing new words forming: Just YESTERDAY something clicked inside of The Boy and he said a few words ON PURPOSE. He said "nana" when I asked him what a banana was, and just a few minutes ago while talking to my mom on the phone I asked him to say hi to Nonni and he said "non-nee". !!!!!!!!!!! That's how excited I am! Plus I'm shocked since M has shown hardly any interest in speaking until now. (more) !!!!!!!

5.) Having a schedule and being generally more responsible and "good": I actually go to bed at night a reasonable hour. I don't eat as much junk food or watch as much TV. I read more books. I feel better :)

So there you have it. I have enjoyed all of these things this week because of The Boy. So sorry to you if you didn't want to hear even MORE about a certain child called M, but I am a little preoccupied with him lately.

2 comments:

Melissa Huff said...

You have inspired me to learn more lullabies. I'm so tired of singing the only eight songs I know (which are, of course, primary songs).

Also: I am so impressed by the SPEAKING OF WORDS. That is very exciting. And the dancing sounds way cute.

k said...

Thanks so much for being impressed, it makes me feel validated in my extreme excitement about the talking! He won't do it as much as I'd like, of course, but he's still doing it a little.

Also, my mom-in-law has a lullaby CD she found for a dollar at Half Price Books. I haven't listened to it yet, or seen it since she hasn't given it to me yet either, but if it's any good I'll pass the news along :)