Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Dinner: Baked Chicken w/ Coconut Peanut Sauce, Salad, Green Beans, Pickles, and Kefir

Wow, that's quite the title.


Coconut Oil: taken 20 minutes before dinner, in pomegranate white tea


Dinner: 
  • Mesclun Salad with Balsamic Dressing
  • Baked Chicken with Coconut Peanut Sauce
  • Green Beans fried in coconut oil
  • Kimchi (homemade or purchased)--(I couldn't do it!  I had Bubbie's pickles instead, they are also lacto-fermented)
  • choice of Quick and Easy Beverage--I chose kefir
By the time I made it to dinner today I realized how much I don't like making three meals a day.  But no problem, I will just eat the leftovers for a day or two and then move on to the next "day" of menu items.  R goes a little crazy eating the same thing over and over, but I love it.  Simplicity, less work?  Hooray!

Mesclun Salad

4 cups mesclun salad (baby lettuce)
1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
1/2 cup Balsamic Dressing
2 ounces blue cheese
4 croutons (I omitted them)
Balsamic Dressing

1 teaspoon smooth or grainy Dijon-style mustard
2 Tablespoons plus one teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil or Mary's Oil Blend
2 teaspoon expeller-pressed flax oil
sea salt and pepper to taste

1.  Mix mustard and vinegar in a bowl.  Add oil in a steady stream, whisking until the dressing is well-mixed and emulsified.  
Baked Chicken

1 whole chicken, including head and feet if possible
1 tablespoon melted butter (I just rubbed room temperature butter on the chicken)
sea salt and pepper to taste
1 3/4 cups Coconut Peanut Sauce

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cut up chicken, reserving back, feet, head and wings for chicken stock. Place breasts, thighs, and drumsticks, skin side up, in a roasting pan or Dutch oven.  Brush with butter and season with salt and pepper.  Bake for 2 hours or until golden brown.

Coconut Peanut Sauce

6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 large bunch of cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Asian hot chili oil (I couldn't find it, so I omitted; plus the boys don't like it spicy)
3/4 cup natural peanut butter
3/8 cup naturally fermented soy sauce
3 tablespoon rice or coconut vinegar
1/2 can whole coconut milk

1. Place garlic, ginger, and cilantro in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.  Add all remaining ingredients and pulse until well-blended.  To warm sauce, place in a medium bowl set in a pan of hot water over very low heat.

2 comments:

Live Out Loud said...

I feel you on the meal preparation thing...it is so, SO tough! So, quick quesion for you (which I think you answered here) are R and the kiddies also eating what you eat? Keep it up. Love you!

k said...

R doesn't love coconut, so I gave him the heads up and he said he'll make pasta any time he doesn't like the dinner, ha! E had some of my soup I made for lunch, but he likes spicy stuff and M doesn't. So I am trying to get the meals to overlap as much as possible, but what doesn't I can just repeat into days where I don't have to cook again.

I think M will really like the baked chicken with coconut peanut sauce when he tries it tomorrow. He was in bed before I finished it.