Sunday, October 10, 2010

Dinner: Indonesian Coconut Steak, Sauerkraut, Salad, Milk, Macaroon

This recipe for dinner was pretty good.  I made it two nights ago and am just getting around to posting it.  I'm getting tired of coconut-flavored everything though, so tonight I am making a plain ol' grass-fed steak and a green salad with milk and a pickle.  I ate these coconutty leftovers today for lunch, so I'm ready for a savory change.

I will probably make this one again because it incorporates beef stock so nicely though.  That's a big plus.  I am aiming for more calcium in my diet, so bone broths are one surefire way to increase my intake.  I am also drinking a cup of raw milk twice a day instead of once like before I started my Operation Lose Baby Weight challenge.

Coconut Oil:
Dinner:

  • Indonesian Coconut Steak
  • Homemade Sauerkraut
  • Green Salad with Carrots, Celery, and Parmesan Cheese with Basic Salad Dressing



Indonesian Coconut Steak
serves 4
3 tablespoons lard or Mary's Oil Blend
1 large onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 1/2 pounds boneless sirloin or skirt steak, sliced into 1/2-inch strips (I used grass-fed NY strip steak from Sprouts, it was on sale)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander (I omitted this, I was out!)
1 teaspoon chili powder
2/3 cup desiccated coconut
2 teaspoons coconut or maple sugar (also called palm sugar)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (I also added the zest to add flavor after having no coriander on hand)
1 1/4 cups beef stock
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced thin, for garnish
2 to 3 small green chiles, seeded and sliced thin, for garnish (I omitted)
small onion slices, for garnish (I forgot to reserve some, so I cooked them all and had to omit these)

1.  Heat lard in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.  Add onion slices and garlic and saute 5 minutes, or until soft.  Add beef slices and saute, stirring, until browned, about 10 minutes.
2.  Stir in ginger, cumin, coriander and chili powder and cook 2 minutes.  Stir in coconut, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and beef stock.  Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce is reduced and meat is well coated.  Garnish with slivers of bell pepper, green chiles, and small onion slices.

Basic Salad Dressing

1 cup olive oil (I use Chaffin Family Farms from CA, it's very mild and buttery)
1/2 cup raw apple cider vinegar (I use Bragg's)
1 teaspoon onion powder
2-3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
3-4 cloves minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon sea salt (I use Celtic Grey Sea Salt)

1.  Add ingredients in order to a jar or salad dressing shaker.  Shake together to emulsify and pour over salads.  Store in the refrigerator.

No comments: