Sunday, October 03, 2010

Dinner: Red Lamb Curry, Watercress Endive Salad, Lacto-Fermented Sour Pickles, Raw Milk

Tonight's dinner was not only surprisingly delicious, but surprisingly easy to make.  When I read "curry" I imagined being in the kitchen for an hour chopping things and doing various steps.  Not so.  And I was so glad, because I am bone tired tonight.  I should mention that it really helped that I didn't need to go to the store for anything either, since I had planned ahead and bought all the ingredients last Sunday.

Coconut oil: 2 tablespoons taken in pomegranate white tea 20 minutes before dinner
Dinner:
  • Leftover red meat curry: I used leftover lamb from Wednesday
  • Watercress Endive Salad with Balsamic Dressing
  • Lacto-fermented sauerkraut: I subbed Bubbie's pickles, since my kraut is still fermenting and Bubbie's uses lacto-fermentation
  • Choice of Quick and Easy Beverage: I drank raw milk, but I could've done kefir or kvass
Watercress Endive Salad
serves 4
2 bunches watercress, stems removed
4 heads Belgium endive
1 head radicchio, or 1/4 head red cabbage, finely shredded
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
1/2 cup Balsamic Dressing
2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled

1.  Wash and dry watercress.  Remove outer leaves of endive and slice at 1/4-inch intervals.  In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except cheese with dressing and divide among 4 plates.  Sprinkle cheese over salad and serve with dressing.

Balsamic Dressing
makes 3/4 cup
1 teaspoon grainy Dijon-style mustard
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, or Mary's Oil Blend
2 teaspoons expeller-pressed flax oil

1.  Shake all ingredients in a small plastic container with a lid.  It's a lot easier than whisking :D

Leftover Red Meat Curry
2 tablespoons lard or Mary's Oil Blend
2 cups leftover beef or lamb, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 can whole coconut milk
2 cups beef stock
1 teaspoon red curry paste
1-inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped
juice of 1 lemon or 2 limes
1 teaspoon coconut or maple sugar (coconut sugar is sometimes called palm sugar)
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1 cup Chinese peas, ends removed and cut on an angle into 1/2-inch pieces (I used sugar snap peas, I couldn't find Chinese peas)

1. Warm lard in a large pot over medium heat.  Add meat and saute, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, or until meat has browned. 
2.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer until vegetables are tender (it took about 10-15 minutes).

(Cross-posted.)

No comments: